NEEDED: UPBEAT LOCAL PROFESSIONAL DRIVER
Job Title: Driver FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Drives tractor/trailer to transport containers between customer, vendor, and company locations within the state. Customer sites could be inter-city or rural, commercial or residential, retail stores, warehouses, construction sites, and/or port terminals. Containers may be delivered with self-loading and unloading capabilities, sometimes in areas off the road. Reports to Operations Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following.
- Complete DOT inspections of tractors and trailers consistently utilizing the equipment inspection check list.
- Secures container on trailer according to DOT regulations.
- Responsible for opening container prior to moving to ensure it is empty. Removes all debris from container prior to transporting.
- Responsible for maintaining truck log according to state and federal regulations and for maintaining internal company driver logs.
- Performs minor repairs such as lights, mirrors, brake adjustments, and installing tire chains.
- Maintains contact with office regarding deliveries and pick-ups for customer sites, via cell phone.
- Compare outbound inspection to inbound inspection; record differences and report damager to customer, and rental office.
- Operate forklift to load and unload containers if needed
- Receives all required signatures, inspections, and related paperwork from drop-off and pick-up points.
- Operates tilt bed trailer to deliver containers to client site
- Inspects unit for damage before picking up at off-site locations and reports any damage to office.
- Reports all truck/trailer accidents or property damage to office immediately. Responsible for completing accident report at scene for all traffic accidents.
- Responsible for maintaining a current CDL driver’s license and medical certification according to state and federal regulations.
- No supervisory responsibilities are involved.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or general education degree (GED); 21 years of age, and minimum of one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Strong work ethic and a desire to succeed.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Attention to detail and highly organized.
- Current state driver’s license
- Must have a current Class A CDL
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk; climb or balance; reach with hands and arms; and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee regularly is required to sit. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and to talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must operate equipment such as tractor trailer combinations, tilt bed trailer, computer, copy machine, fax machine, fork lift, yard goat, hand tools, and refrigerated containers.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet, humid conditions; working near moving mechanical parts; and outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.